Hello–It’s been a while since I posted a recipe and I’ve got a great one!
A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine at work had this amazing salad from M&S which looked and smelled so good…and so I went and got one for myself the next day. And, it tasted great too!
So it inspired me to create a similar salad. My version of the salad has lentils, quinoa, wild rice, butternut squash, cucumber, spinach, basil and coriander…and a very lemony lemon and herb dressing.
Lentils, Quinoa (Keen-wa), Wild Rice and Butternut Squash with Lemon, Basil and Coriander Dressing
1 cup quinoa
1 cup green whole lentils
1/2-3/4 cup wild rice
2-4 cups butternut squash – cut into cubes
cucumber – cut into small cubes
spinach – washed and shredded
handful of each – basil and coriander (cilantro) – finely chopped
Seed mix (sunflower, pine nuts, pumpkin)
zest of two lemons
juice of 3 lemons to make approximately 1/2 cup of juice
1/2 olive oil
Chopped basil and coriander (nice hearty pinch)
1-2 T Dijon mustard, to taste
1 large clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Rinse quinoa and simmer in two cups of water until water is absorbed, approx 20 minutes.
2. Place lentils in a medium sauce pan, rinse, and cover with at least an inch of water and boil until tender, approx 30-40 minutes.
3. Cook wild rice in water until tender, approx 20 minutes.
4. Place butternut squash in a pot with water and boil until tender. You want them to remain in chunks and not go to mush.
5. Chop vegetables and herbs, set aside.
6. When all grains, beans and squash have finished cooking, drain, set aside and allow to cool.
7. Make dressing, adjust seasoning, add more lemon juice, Dijon mustard as necessary.
8. Gently combine all ingredients in stages and pour in dressing. Season as needed.
9. Top with seed mix.
10. Enjoy. It makes a lot and is a great dish to bring to picnics or bbqs or potlucks!
I’m serving this cold at a party for a friend, but I’m assuming that it would also taste great warm. Do everything the same as listed, but don’t chill.