I love coconut and I love lemon. Mix both together and you’ll get these light, crunchy, yummy cookies. Oh, and yes, they are vegan.
Lemon Coconut Cookies
1 1/4 cups Spelt flour (if you don’t have spelt flour, all-purpose flour is fine)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup earth balance (soy free or whatever you prefer) vegan margarine
2-3 T lemon zest (or more as desired)
3 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup Lite Silken Tofu (firm), crumbled
Topping, mix these together in a bowl and set aside:
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Sift flours, salt, coconut and baking soda together, set aside.
3. Beat margarine, sugar and lemon zest together until fluffy.
4. Add crumbled silken tofu and lemon juice to margarine mixture. Whip until well mixed.
5. Add flour mix until well combine. Add flour as necessary if batter is too soft. You want to be able to roll the dough into balls.
6. Using a 1″ cookie scoop, scoop out cookies, and roll in topping (sugar and coconut that is set aside in a bowl).
7. Place on lined cookie sheet, and press down a little to flatten.
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes until done and lightly golden. Take out of oven and let cookies cool on cookie rack (I take them off the cookie sheet immediately).
Makes approximately 36 cookies, if you don’t taste test.
Lemon and coconut…yummm…I wonder if Starbucks can make a lemon coconut creme frap…and if it’s any good. Has anyone tried it?